Saturday, September 5, 2009

Derby Love

I love roller derby because it kicks ass!!  Where else are you going to find a bunch of awesome sweaty alt girls rolling around and knocking each other over all while wearing short skirts and fishnets?  The chicks in the roller derby league I'm in (The Manchvegas Roller Girls) are some seriously fierce ladies from all corners of the Manchvegas area.  I just joined so I have no street cred yet, but someday I'll be a kickass bitch who knocks chicks down.  Hard.
     Before I joined the league, I taught myself how to skate in the parking lot next to our apartment building.  It must have been amusing for anyone watching because I didn't know how to stop and would roll into the grass at high speed to avoid falling down.  After skating around in the parking lot for a couple months, I decided to try out for a league.  I needed a some indoor skates, so I bought a pair of Riedell R3 skates, Atom G-Rods 2.0 wheels, and Bones Reds bearings.  The R3s fit much better than my outdoor skates (Sure-Grip Boxers) and don't hurt my feet after two hours of practice. 

hot skatesg-rods
      The tryouts were nowhere near as intimidating as I anticipated.  I thought they'd have me try to pass the WFTDA Minimum Skills Requirements before I could join.  It turns out that they don't require you to have any skating experience; they'll train pretty much anyone to skate and get the basic derby skills down.  Joining the league was definitely one of the best decisions I've made in a while.  Its great exercise, bruises are sexy, and you get to challenge yourself.  Plus, there's hot chicks!  Derby love everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment